Hyundai Motor America - Defective Paint Job

20 of 46 Hyundai Motor America reviews

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with a factory paint job that is defective primarily the hood.The prep to make the paint stick to the hood was not properly applied.

When I first took it to the dealer they told me I was within time for warranty coverage but over on miles. A defect is a defect and should be take care if by Hyundai. See photos for how unsightly this is for Hyundai and me. I would not be so pissed if this were due to normal wear and tear, but it is not.

I am pleased with the performance and service with my Sonata.I have 195k miles on it already, with only normal maintenance issues except this poor paint job that I want Hyundai to admit is an issue with their white paint.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Monetary loss:
Product or service
Auto Paint
Review category
Service Centers and Repairs
review #489616 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Hyundai Motor America? Submit review ›
Helpful? 6 Yes 6 0 No 0
Had the same issue 27 Yes 27
20 of 46 Hyundai Motor America reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 25 #1245906 Debary, Florida, United States

I also own a 2010 pearl white Sonata and the paint is peeling in different areas. The car is under 85k miles and we bought it at the Hyundai dealership as a certified pre-owned back in 2011.

Nov 16 #1241648 Montreal, Quebec, Canada

2010 black hyundai elantra paint peeling and bubbling all over roof and rusting

Oct 26 #1232309

I have the same problem, a white 2009, Hyundai Sonata, Paint on the hood flacked off last year had it repainted, at my own expense. This year (2016) in early October the paint on the A pillars and roof flacked off in big patches, all in one day! The dealer has pictures and vehicle information, I hope to hear back soon on this issue.

Mar 09 #1124636

We are investigating the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit. Your information would assist in that investigation. email mike@wsrlawfirm.com

Ben2016

Feb 16 #1113019 Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

I have the same year, make, model and paint color. The missing paint on your vehicle is identical to my. Hyundai should be ashamed!

Mar 08 #1123978 Houston, Texas, United States

I have the same issue with my 2011 Sonata. Go here to sign up for a class action lawsuit against Hyundai and this paint problem.

Feb 15 #1112386

Same issue on a 2010 hyundai sonata, white with metallic silver flakes. Hood and roof pealing in dollars sized patches. Classaction.org has a topic started.

Jan 30 #1103509

2010 Sonata that is white, paint is peeling off the hood and roof happened exactly at 100,000 miles. Please let me know if there is a way to fix this, hoping Hyundai gets a recall on this soon.

Jan 29 #1102869

My 2004 Santa Fe has severe problems with the paint. It is silver in color and about 2 years ago, I noticed that the paint was starting to wear off on the hood and now the roof and the sides of the car are affected. I won't buy another Hyundai after seeing the number of complaints and Hyundai is doing nothing to help out its customers.

Jan 26 #1101191

i have a 2010 that doing the same thing. car has 70k miles on it.
bought it from carmax.. still looking for help with my matter..goodluck with yours

Jan 14 #1094711

It's not just white, I have a blue 2005 that is just horrible looking. I found this while looking for a paint business.

Estlander

Dec 30, 2015 #1085817 Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States

2009 Sonata Pearl White. The same thing is happening to my car. Paint is flaking off on fenders, hood, trunk, roof and now doors. The roof also has rust spots everywhere. So it's also rusting underneath.
And whenever it's raining and the car is wet, the paint on the whole car is full of tiny bumps/blisters. When it dries off, most of them disappear. So that shows you the paint on my car is completely loose all over.
Repainting a car like that would be very expensive as the old factory paint would have to come off completely before you can paint, otherwise the same thing would happen to the new paint job.
One body shop i talked to, said that they wouldn't even wanna paint a car like that as they couldn't give me a warranty on the job. Extremely disappointed in Hyundai :(

Nov 20, 2015 #1067142

youtube Hyundai Sante Fe scarey they will not help mine is pearl white

Nov 20, 2015 #1067140 Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

Go on youtube this is my 2009 my paint flew up on my windshield also go on facebook and look up Hyundai you will see my pics from the dealer almost all my paint peeled of this will happen to your too

Oct 11, 2015 #1046343

SAME! 2009 Silver Hyundai Sonata!

Sep 24, 2015 #1038408

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue. Same car, same year, same paint color. Its clearly a manufacturer mistake.

Sep 24, 2015 #1038447 Auburn, Alabama, United States

Negative. I had the hood repainted at my expense. I have 214,900 miles on the Sonata though. So mechanically it is a sound vehicle. Don't trust the Hyundai warranty people to use common sense and admit clear issues with their product.

Nov 10, 2015 #1061288

Have a 2009 Santa Fe. Bought as a used car but Hyundai repainted roof not long after i bought it. Asked that they do the entire car at that time but they refused saying it didn't need it. Now about a year ago the back seat door started peeling. Took it to Hyundai and of course by then it's out of warranty-on mileage. They denied having defective paint problem. Still haven't
repainted.

1-20 of 36 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.