2.6K views
Featured Not resolved

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with a factory paint job that is defective primarily the hood. The prep to make the paint stick to the hood was not properly applied.

When I first took it to the dealer they told me I was within time for warranty coverage but over on miles. A defect is a defect and should be take care if by Hyundai. See photos for how unsightly this is for Hyundai and me. I would not be so pissed if this were due to normal wear and tear, but it is not.

I am pleased with the performance and service with my Sonata. I have 195k miles on it already, with only normal maintenance issues except this poor paint job that I want Hyundai to admit is an issue with their white paint.

Comments

My 2011 Sonata is also peeling from the Hood and the Door Handles. Not sure if I have a next step as Hyundai had a recall suit dismissed in 2017 by a Judge.

It looks just like my car, is white and the same thing is happening on the hood. What do I do? Fixed income...

I currently have a 2014 Santa Fe , pearl white. My paint is chipping/peeling exposing the primer on the hood and driver's door.

So upsetting. Dealer said it was out of warranty. I will not buy another Hyundai.

It is sad that Hyundai has defective paint and the customer's have to suffer paying for a vehicle that the paint is chipping off of. Looks terrible, I am pissed!

As so many others here, I have a 2009 Santa Fe, pearl white, that had paint flaking off on the hood and the roof where it meets the windshield, to the point that the exposed metal began to rust. Hyundai said it was "normal wear and tear" which obviously it wasn't. It started happening at about 50,000 miles.

#1472055

2013 santafe sport pearl white and same thing. Chipped paint all over the front of the hood and some on the top of the car too.

Very disappointing.

Thought about trading in...but who would want it? Love everything about it but since no recal I probably wont but another one.

to Kasey #1559069

Same problem with my white 2013. Even the rims are peeling.

The local dealer had someone repaint them and now that's peeling too.. very upset.

Trader_Rick

2006 Sonata LX, Pearl White - same issue!

to ExcitingOkapi #1547099

I have a 2006 pearly white 2006 Hyundai sinada and the paint is pealing off big time. I’m so passed off , I mean it’s coming off like skinn off an apple. What do we do?

The paint to my 2014 Hyundai Sonata is peeling off. I hate it!

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in white with paint peeling off the right side of the hood

Connecticut, United States #1329483

My 2009 hyundai Santa fe paint is peeling off the front in multiple spots and on the roof. My car looks horrible

Brooklyn, New York, United States #1313845

I own a 2009 Santa Fe with Pearl White paint peeling off the hood.

Schaumburg, Illinois, United States #1301996

2009 Sonata- metallic gray- paint us peeling like crazy out of nowhere in big sections on hood. 50000 miles on car .

Walnut Creek, California, United States #1268434

I have a 2006 pearl white sonata, same thing paint peeling on the roof , had to repair at my own cost. 89,000 on it,

no primer on car.

Debary, Florida, United States #1245906

I also own a 2010 pearl white Sonata and the paint is peeling in different areas. The car is under 85k miles and we bought it at the Hyundai dealership as a certified pre-owned back in 2011.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada #1241648

2010 black hyundai elantra paint peeling and bubbling all over roof and rusting

Columbus, Mississippi, United States #1233919

2010 Elantra peeling off all the door handles and wheels.

I have the same problem, a white 2009, Hyundai Sonata, Paint on the hood flacked off last year had it repainted, at my own expense. This year (2016) in early October the paint on the A pillars and roof flacked off in big patches, all in one day! The dealer has pictures and vehicle information, I hope to hear back soon on this issue.

We are investigating the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit. Your information would assist in that investigation. email mike@wsrlawfirm.com

to Anonymous #1551036

I know that has been 2 years since this was posted, My car started to peel off on the front of the hood,I could not image that was a factory boo-boo. I own a 2009 sonata, does don't have 80k miles yet.it's pearl white.